Sharechat Logo

Gabs's last hurrah - Makhlouf apologises, agrees he erred

Friday 28th June 2019

Text too small?

The departing secretary to the Treasury, Gabriel 'Gabs' Makhlouf has issued an apology for his department's lax website security and agreed that he got it wrong in describing the resulting breach of Budget security as a case of being "deliberately and systematically hacked".

The National Party had discovered it could access Budget materials using the search bar on the Treasury website and released documents ahead of the May 30 Budget, derailing the lead-up to the coalition government's first 'well-being' Budget.

In a statement issued by the Treasury just before the end of Makhlouf's last working day and overshadowed by a Cabinet reshuffle announcement, Makhlouf said he was pleased the report into the security breach by deputy state services commissioner John Ombler had found that "my honesty and integrity are not in question".

"Mr Ombler’s investigation was conducted thoroughly and fairly," said Makhlouf. "I have read the report carefully and encourage others to do so. I apologise that Budget information was not kept secure. The inquiry that I asked the SSC Commissioner to undertake will help us understand exactly how that happened and how to stop it happening again.

"The report confirms I acted at all times in good faith and with political neutrality. It also confirms that I acted reasonably, other than in my descriptions of the incident."

Makhlouf, who described himself at a surprisingly civil farewell at Parliament on June 13 as someone who had arrived to take the job as "a Pom, and leave a Kiwi" said it had been "my privilege to have had the opportunity to serve New Zealanders and I’m very proud of what my Treasury team has achieved over the last eight years".

The Ombler report prompted SSC head Peter Hughes to "call it out" that Makhlouf had failed to take personal responsibility for the breach of Budget secrecy and intimated at a press conference that he would have expected Makhlouf to offer his resignation over such a serious breach of a core responsibility of the Treasury to protect sensitive economic information.

"No offer was forthcoming. He was aware of his options," said Hughes.

(BusinessDesk)



  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

MARKET CLOSE: Blue-chip stocks Meridian, A2 lead market lower
NZ dollar rises on Brexit hopes, rate cut reassessment
Three not failing, just needs a new owner - MediaWorks CEO
Major investors back new CBL class action targeting directors
Rip Curl purchase a done deal on Kathmandu proxies alone
Comvita chair Neil Craig eyes the exit once he finds a new CEO
Mercury raises guidance on increased storage, high spot prices
Eroad reports strong 3Q sales growth, eyes ASX listing
MediaWorks puts TV business on the block
NZ dollar benefits as preliminary Brexit deal improves risk appetite

IRG See IRG research reports