Re: [sharechat] WRI - Question

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 15:20:56 +1200

Hi Harley,

>Reading Grant Samuel's report on WRI  there is mention of a
decrease
>in earnings  EBIT from livestock operations of $8m between 1992
>and1994.

2002 and 2004  :-)

>Expected earnings for this year are $3.8m projected. This is  blamed
>on sales volume and price decreasing.
>
>My question is did WKL and PGG have the same drop in there
livestock
>operations?

I don't know the specific answer to your question Harley.   I do know
that receiving lots of stock to slaughter is not necessarily a good thing.
It could mean that the farmers land is in such poor condition that they
have to destock to remain in business.    So a 'boom year' in selling
livestock could be a sign of bad things to come.    Perhaps farmers
might even hold a grudge against WRI if they sold their livestock out
from under them too cheaply?

On the subject of why WRI has underperformed PGG, the Cameron
and Co. report suggests that the synergies released when Reid
Farmers and PGG combined forces is a major factor.  The report also
suggested that the finance division of PGG performed well.    Call me
wrong but I thought that PGG was a pure rural services play, and the
finance side of the business came under the umbrella of parent
company PGC (?).   If I am wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

On the underperformance relative to Williams and Kettle, the 'excuse'
is that W&K have been riding the highs of a buoyant horticultural
market, through 'Fruitfed', and that WRI are not big in this sector of the
market.

Regards,

Snoopy

--