Re: [sharechat] Sailing into the sunset with Norgate?

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:26:55 +1200

Hi Dean,

Dean wrote:
>Snoopy wrote:
>
>>'re'='rf'+ (beta)( E(rm)-'rf' )
>>
>>Where 'rf' is the risk free rate of return, and
>>E(rm) is the expected rate of market return.
>
>I added market risk premium to the rfr to get the expected return for
>the market of 13.37%
>
>>Again using your figures Dean I get
>>
>> = 5.87%+ (0.84)( 7.5% - 5.87% )= 7.24%.
>
>I get = 5.87 + (0.84)(13.37-5.87)  = 12.17%
>
>Don't you think your expected return for the market is a little low?

I have an old copy of 'Making Money on the NZ Sharemarket' by Frank
Newman.   In Table 1 of appendix 3 there is a table of annual
compounded rates of returnof the NZSE Gross Index with dividends
reinvested.     If we start from 1988 (to leave out the 1987 silliness, and
all the high inflation in times before that)  the average returns were

 6.9%, 8.39%, 7.38%, 14.49%, 12.35%, 12.17%, 5.6%, 8.98%, 5.65%,
-0.24% and 1.86%.

That makes an average return of 8.35% over a ten year period.    I
don't have the exact figures for the years 1999 and beyond but I think
you will find the average return figure has not greatly changed.

As a consequence I think you need to reassess whether using a figure
some 5 percentage points higher than the 15 year trend figure is going
to give you realistic results.

Neverthless I think you are right in that 7.24% for expected average
market returns is a liitle low if earnings are compounded.    If I rework
my figures using 8.35% I get:

= 5.87%+ (0.84)(8.35% - 5.87%)= 7.95%.

If I take this years core dividend of 2.5c + 6c= 8.5c as my starting
point, then using the DDM model I get one WRI share to be worth:

= 8.5c/( 0.0795-0.0218 ) = $1.47

> > If I take this years core dividend of 2.5c + 6c= 8.5c as my starting
>   Are you able
> > to reconcile your result with my calculation?
>
> I used 11.5c

That figure was based on earnings at the peak of the commodity cycle,
so I think it is a less realistic base figure than 8.5c that has already
been forecast as the dividend by WRI management for this year.

> And my growth rate was 2.42%

Not too different to mine and, perhaps if the financing side of the
business takes off, not unrealistic.  If I use your growth figure, then I
get:

=8.5c/( 0.0795-0.0242 ) = $1.54

Both the figures $1.47 and $1.54 are surprisingly close to Norgates
$1.50 bid.     That suggests to me that Norgate is not paying for any
share price appreciation of WRI if he gets the reigns of control.   A
tacit admission that he can't do better than the current management?

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02