Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2003

Re: [sharechat] Advise please reply

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:13:01 +1300

Hi Woody and Ryan,

> In my opinion if you have $100,000. Keep it NZ.   $25,000 deposit on
> rent producing property, Seek out Mortgagee reposession,
> buy it ' Cash Positive '
>
> $25,000. Good quality shares.
> $25,000 in Precious metals. Gold, Silver.
> $10,000 Trading Portfolio US Stock Options. ( Plenty of Internet
> training guides ) if ready I will give you a good Broker.
>  $10,000 In the Bank
> and $5,000 Forex trading Portfolio Very high risk but worth risking
> $5,000.

I know that Woody and I have sparred in the recent past.   Now I'm not
saying that I agree in detail with everything Woody says here, but
actually I think he is talking quite a lot of sense.

If you live in New Zealand, and you intend to spend your money in
New Zealand, it does make sense  to have most of your invesments
paying income in that currency.

Property, bought wisely (not every property is overpriced in a bull
property market) is a good anchor for a portfolio.  And a good way to
check if the purchase is wise is to check out the rental yield.
Personally I favour income shares to do this job.   But this is a distinctly
New Zealand thing as in most countries the shares will not pay you an
income that is high enough to anchor your portfolio with as good an
income flow as property.    'Cash positive' is the key phrase, as Woody
says.

Shares have a long term record of outperforming every other class of
investment.   So matching your core income producing assets with
good quality Blue Chip style shares makes quite a bit of sense.

I am not a precious metal fan myself, but one thing you can say about
them is that they are often negatively correlated with other shares.  If
you want to smooth out the returns in your portfolio this is no bad thing.

$10,000 as cash in the bank is an excellent idea, as it means you have
something on hand to take up those opportunities that Mr Market
unexpectedly  throws  to you.

That leaves you $15,000 for 'risky' investments.  Something that you
can have a bit of a punt with, but a suitably small proportion that won't
destroy you if make some bad calls.

So well done Woody.   I may have to reassess my image of you as a
wild trader who will think nothing of betting the farm before breakfast,
betting the house at lunch time and gambling with the shirt on your
back at dinner time  while surviving on a diet of white rice and baked
beans ;-).

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy