Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2003

[sharechat] Tindall got it right in Oz

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:13:02 +1300

I wanted to pass some comment on a recent NZ Herald article by Brian
Gaynor where he lambasted both ''Air NZ" and  "The Warehouse" for
buying large extablished buinesses in Australia.  He contrasted this to
the Hallensteins and Michael Hill approach of piecemeal shop by shop
expansion that has with hindsight, been much more successful.

IMO , the Warehouse is different from those other two aforementioned
retail businesses.   WHS tends to operate from greenfield sites and
markets itself as a destination in its own right.     With the cost of
advertising in Oz, and the low margins the Warehouse has, I think that
starting from a single store, and rolling out other stores one by one
would not have worked.     It makes much more sense to knock out a
couple of competitors like Crazy Clints and Sollies as a starting point
and build from there.

By contrast 'mall' based stores like HLG and MHI already have the foot
traffic before they even open.  I am not sure that either of those
concepts would work as stand alone shopping destinations.  They
probably benefit from being around other stores that sell similar things.
I don't think you can say that about the Warehouse business model.

By the same token suggesting that Air NZ could have got up and
running on a single route, say Melbourne to Sydney and built from
there, I don't think is on.    True, Virgin Blue more or less started like
that.    But they were up against a near monopoly (Qantas), and their
real break was the collapse of Ansett.   If Ansett  had been better
managed I wonder if Virgin Blue would still be with us today?

At any rate, I have never worked myself in either the retail trade or  the
airline trade so I amy be off base with these remarks.   But I am putting
them out there to see what others think.

SNOOPY

discl: hold WHS

 --
Message sent by Snoopy