Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

[sharechat] Consistent Profit Agenda

From: "Intelligent Investing Team" <knowledge@intelligentinvesting.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:21:49 +1300

Morning everybody,

The one thing that I don't understand is that some of you seem to have an opinion that technical investing will always make huge profits. Or at least that is what you think that new and existing traders seem to think.

I do not remember ever seeing a post where someone has claimed that you will always make extraordinary profits from trading. I think that your opinion has been clouded (and with good reason) by some of the claims made by large companies selling automatic trading systems.

Technical or fundamental, the aim is the same. To make consistent profits each month or year. Where is it written that technicals will perform better. This just isn't the case. I'll say it one more time. Different people suit different methods. And not surprisingly, return is usually directly proportional to effort.

You wont make money long term having a quick glance at the business pages once a month, and you wont make money trading if you rely on tip sheets and automatic systems.

Nick, you summed it up in your last post...

"...Trading is a very tough Business, the vast majority survive less than a year......"

This is absolutely true. and the reason people fail, is because they have not had access to independent and affordable services to help them become safe and educated. Up until recently, if you wanted to learn about trading, you had to take the biased (BS) opinion of a salesperson, and sink $1000's into a system.

It is forums like this, and the generosity of members like Phedorus that now means that people can become educated and empowered to consume services only when they need them. Lets get off our respective soap boxes and see if we can't help each other out. There is enormous value in combining sound fundamentals with technical entry and exit points.

Perhaps we can all use our complimentary skills to focus on the job of making consistent, reasonable, and achievable profits.

Regards

Nick McCaw