[sharechat] stop-losses

From: "Peter Robertson" <p.robertson@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:33:00 +1300

Was just thinking......all those people baling out of shares, many of them cite that their "stop-loss" has kicked in, so they sell, ...given the cyclical nature of the sharemarket, and obviously we are presently near the bottom (we hope) of a downward wave- we've seen it before... & before too long things will be rising, well, aren't these "stop-losses" a bit nonsensical. Personally, I would rather hang on for the ride, than bale & get depressed. You might say "Oh yeah, but what if you can't afford to lose the money".. but surely if you can't afford to lose the money, why be in the market. To my mind this "STOP-LOSS" mentality could be what is ailing our market.