Sharechat Logo

Fletcher gets nod as preferred partner in Chch development as govt eyes next stage of rebuild

Thursday 2nd July 2015

Text too small?

Fletcher Residential, a unit of the country's biggest construction company, has been named the preferred developer for an $800 million project in Christchurch's inner city as part of the government's plans for the next stage of the city's rebuild.

The Fletcher Building unit won the government tender for the East and North Frame residential precinct, which aims to build about 940 townhouses, Prime Minister John Key said in a speech to the Canterbury Employers' Chamber of Commerce. The government will sell seven hectares of land, which Fletcher will buy progressively as the units are built and sold, with the project spread over eight or nine years.

"Fletchers will be responsible for designing, building and selling the completed development, subject to minimum requirements agreed with the government," Key said. “When finished, the new precinct is expected to increase the inner city population by around 45 percent."

The contract is one of several measures Key announced as the government enters a new stage in the Christchurch rebuild.

The government will introduce legislation this year to replace the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Act, with the most directive powers granted to Earthquake Minister Gerry Brownlee likely to expire or be amended to "provide explicit roles for councils, and in certain cases, Ngai Tahu," Key said.

The new legislation will apply to a smaller area with updated provisions and expire in five years.

The government has also moved to wind up the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority, which was headed by Roger Sutton until his sudden departure last year, with functions transferred to other agencies including the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, the Ministry of Health and Land Information New Zealand.

Key said a new entity, called Regenerate Christchurch, will also be established to essentially operate as an urban development authority, to help ensure the city's anchor projects and precincts and completed in a timely and effective manner.

"Over the next few years, responsibility for regenerating the central city will transfer progressively to the city council," Key said.

The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority also released the draft transition recovery plan for greater Christchurch, and is calling for submissions until July 30.

 

 

 

 

BusinessDesk.co.nz



  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026
PEB - Draft LCD Proposes Medicare Coverage for Triage and Triage
MEL - Meridian Energy monthly operating report for April 2026
FBU - Sale of South Australian property
AIR - Air New Zealand market update
May 14th Morning Report
PEB - Pacific Edge Placement Increased to NZ$25.4 Million
Radius Care Reports Earnings Growth and 50% Higher Dividend