By David Chaplin
|
Thursday 16th October 2008 |
Text too small? |

According to Phil Combes, DMO Treasurer, feedback from market participants prior to the bond offer, which was scheduled for October 16, indicated it would not be successful.
In a statement the DMO said: “Consultation with market participants indicated that there had been recent selling of government bonds by retail holders.”
“Market participants also advised that demand for bonds was likely to be temporarily reduced while investors sought further details of the deposit guarantee schemes announced by the Australian and New Zealand governments over the weekend.”
However, Combes said the DMO remained confident a government bond tender set down for October 30 would continue as planned. Government bonds are normally offered every fortnight and also on an ad-hoc ‘tap tender’ basis depending on demand.
The DMO statement said five ‘tap tender’ issues have gone off successfully since Treasury began the practice in July this year.
Combes said while a government bond tender cancellation “certainly is rare” it was not unprecedented.
“The last time we had to cancel was in 2005,” he said.
Despite the failure of the bond tender the DMO said it still managed to sell $200 million in short-term Treasury Bills this week.
The government has planned to ramp up debt levels over the next few years with $4 billion of bonds expected to be offered over 2008/9 year, a further $6 billion in the next 12-month period and $9 billion over 2010/11.
No comments yet
IPL - FY26 Annual Results
May 21st Morning Report
May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026
PEB - Draft LCD Proposes Medicare Coverage for Triage and Triage
MEL - Meridian Energy monthly operating report for April 2026
FBU - Sale of South Australian property
AIR - Air New Zealand market update
May 14th Morning Report