|
Friday 16th December 2016 |
Text too small? |
Christchurch's High Court has approved a second attempt by a group of Southern Response Earthquake Services policyholders to bring a representative action against the Crown-owned insurance company for breach of contract.
In February this year, the High Court rejected the initial attempt by 46 individuals, who had similar insurance policies and were in dispute with Southern Response over damage caused to their homes in the Canterbury earthquakes, saying their claims were too varied.
A second attempt to proceed with the class action was launched in October, with 40 individuals saying Southern Response consistently delayed house repairs and underestimated claims. A court-sanctioned opt-in order means other Southern Response policyholders have until April 16 next year to join the class action.
Southern Response was established following the quake on Feb. 22 2011, when insurance company AMI considered it did not have sufficient reserve funds or reinsurance to cover its liability. The Crown injected $500 million and provided access to further funding, AMI was restructured, and its day-to-day insurance business sold to Australian insurance group IAG. Its liability from the Canterbury earthquakes transferred to Southern Response.
In a statement, Grant Cameron, a partner at GCA Lawyers which is representing the policyholders, said the group was looking forward to early progress.
Cameron said Justice David Gendall had been satisfied that the common interest pleaded by the plaintiffs - which is that Southern Response engaged in a deliberate strategy to deceive policyholders and delay claims in order to reduce financial liability - was sufficient for a representative action.
BusinessDesk.co.nz
No comments yet
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026
PEB - Draft LCD Proposes Medicare Coverage for Triage and Triage
MEL - Meridian Energy monthly operating report for April 2026
FBU - Sale of South Australian property
AIR - Air New Zealand market update
May 14th Morning Report
PEB - Pacific Edge Placement Increased to NZ$25.4 Million
Radius Care Reports Earnings Growth and 50% Higher Dividend
May 13th Morning Report
Pacific Edge launches capital raise of NZ$24 million