|
Tuesday 5th October 2010 |
Text too small? |
Fidelity Life Assurance says its biggest shareholders, with 70% of the company, plan to reject rival Tower's unsolicited $118 million cash and scrip takeover offer.
Fidelity has retained an independent adviser to help evaluate the offer, a requirement of the Takeovers Code, though already it is signalling unease with the proposal.
Tower last week offered $82 a share for Fidelity, made up of $55 cash and $27 of Tower shares. It said the terms were based on the "limited publicly available information in respect of Fidelity" and it would be seeking further data.
The bid is "unhelpful and, in our view, inappropriate," Fidelity chairman Ian Braddock said in a statement. He has declined to answer questions from the media.
Fidelity is also uncomfortable at the prospect of providing information to a rival, saying it wouldn't be in the best interests of shareholders. The firm says its business model, which includes independent advisers, is a "critical component of our success".
"We are pleased to note that the two major shareholders in the business, who together own 70% of the company, have advised Fidelity that they would not be accepting the intended offer," Braddock said.
Jeffrey Meltzer and Michael Whale are listed as the biggest shareholder of Fidelity, with 53%, and Gregory and Mary Burgess are second biggest, with about 17%.
Shareholders were advised to take no action pending a formal assessment of the offer.
Shares of Tower were unchanged at $1.86.
Businesswire.co.nz
No comments yet
May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026
PEB - Draft LCD Proposes Medicare Coverage for Triage and Triage
MEL - Meridian Energy monthly operating report for April 2026
FBU - Sale of South Australian property
AIR - Air New Zealand market update
May 14th Morning Report
PEB - Pacific Edge Placement Increased to NZ$25.4 Million
Radius Care Reports Earnings Growth and 50% Higher Dividend