By Chris Hutching
|
Friday 7th March 2003 |
Text too small? |
Coburn never displayed the behaviour problems usually associated with problem gamblers, Mr Pitcher said.
During a District Court case in Christchurch last week when Coburn (45) pleaded guilty to fraudulently taking over $1 million from 34 clients, the Serious Fraud Office gave evidence about his gambling habits, including his high turnover rate.
Mr Pitcher said that although the $10.7 million churned over by Coburn might seem a lot, it included money that was won and lost rather than a net loss figure and his behaviour was not unusual.
"Some lawyers are rich. He might have had a pile left to him from his mother, you never know."
Mr Pitcher said Internal Affairs' inspectors maintained surveillance at the casino and would have intervened if they felt something was wrong.
All transactions over $10,000 are recorded and the information is made available to Internal Affairs' officers.
Coburn pleaded guilty to fraudulently stealing more than $1 million from individual clients and $768,000 from finance companies to feed his gambling.
He paid some of the money back so that the total loss was $1.4 million.
Coburn was remanded in custody until sentencing next month when he is likely to face a jail term.
No comments yet
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026
PEB - Draft LCD Proposes Medicare Coverage for Triage and Triage
MEL - Meridian Energy monthly operating report for April 2026
FBU - Sale of South Australian property
AIR - Air New Zealand market update
May 14th Morning Report
PEB - Pacific Edge Placement Increased to NZ$25.4 Million
Radius Care Reports Earnings Growth and 50% Higher Dividend
May 13th Morning Report