Sharechat Logo

Bapcor bid gives Hellaby shareholders easy exit, avoiding showdown, CEO Abotomey says

Friday 30th September 2016

Text too small?

ASX-listed Bapcor's $322.5 million takeover offer gives existing shareholders an easy exit from a traditionally thinly traded stock and would avoid the fall-out of automotive firms going head-to-head, chief executive Darryl Abotomey says. 

The Preston, Victoria-based company is offering $3.30 a share, entering into lock-up agreements with Salt Funds Management, Accident Compensation Corp and Hugh Green Holdings' Castle Investments, securing almost 30 percent of the NZX-listed firm. The deal would give Bapcor, Australia's largest automotive aftermarket parts, accessories and services supplier, a foothold from which to build a larger New Zealand operation. 

"It's the most logical entry for us and the most logical for Hellaby too. If we came in a different angle, there's no doubt it's going to affect both businesses adversely," Abotomey told BusinessDesk. "The major shareholders are in a position where they were happy to exit at that price, and they're long-term holders, so you have to look at it and say 'is the timing right?' We think it is." 

Hellaby managing director Alan Clarke has said the board sees significantly more value in the company than the offer, which he said took him by surprise when he was on an investor roadshow. 

Bapcor's Abotomey says they approached Hellaby earlier this year but was rebuffed and doesn't want to characterise the bid as a hostile or aggressive, given the companies already do business together. 

He rejected commentary that the premium was too small, saying it was 18 percent higher than the three-month volume-weighted average price, and 23 percent above the 6-month VWAP. 

"It's been a perennially underperforming stock," he said. "It's a good offer for people to get out cleanly." 

Hellaby's shares have climbed above the offer price, recently trading at $3.32, and when asked whether Bapcor would be willing to sweeten the bid, Abotomey said "we'd never say never". 

"That's what we believe is fair value, but we'll see how things roll over the next few months, and if we think it's appropriate to change, we will," he said.

BusinessDesk.co.nz



  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

POT Financial Results for the year to 30 June 2025
MOVE FY25 Results for the year ended 30 June 2025
BPG - Completion of Retail Offer
Comvita releases results for the year ended 30 June 2025
August 29th Morning Report
Air New Zealand announces 2025 financial result
August 28th Morning Report
VSL - 2025 date of Annual Meeting of shareholders
WIN - Winton announces FY25 Annual Results
Meridian Energy Limited 2025 Full Year Financial Results