Re: [sharechat] Pot reply to robin

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 23:19:36 +1200

Hi Robin,

>Thanks MacDunk -- I'm taking a fresh look at POT. The union issues
at
>LPC appear to be further entrenched that I thought previously. What
do
>Snoopy and Boop-de-boop think about LPC compared with POT or
POA? Lots
>of trees *and* farms in the central NI ...

After what happened last year, I think Marilyn is more the ports expert
than I am!     Very disappointing that LPC fell out of the elite 'focus
investment group' set of companies.    The union problems, two years
in a row now, and lack of provision for replacement of basic
infrastructure came as a shock.    I think that long term around 5c per
share of value has been removed from this share by all the troubles.

However, in defence of LPC the yield is still good at today's prices (just
above $1.60).  ROE remains good (27% last year, adjusted for one
offs) and there isn't any other port that serves the largest city in the
South Island.   Contrast that with Auckland where POT seems hellbent
on getting into the territory of POA.

But long term LPC has a history of paying out all of its profits in
dividends.   That means long term you can expect the share price track
up with inflation but little else.    It's more of an income share than a
growth share.

Macdunk has made his case for POT, and I'm not going to argue with
him.

POA has certainly had a great run.  On a recent visit to Auckland I was
interested to see that the public boat Marina that they recently sold
amounted from what I could see to be about half their land!     Whether
that will compromise their ability to grow in the future I wouldn't know.
If she's listening I'll leave Marilyn to tell you if POA is worth getting into
at this late stage.

For myself, I'm sticking with LPC.    In fact they're the only shares I've
bought this year.   With a share like LPC though, they must be bought
at the right price for you to get a decent return out of them.

SNOOPY

discl: hold LPC

--
Message sent by Snoopy