Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2003

Re: [sharechat] WRI and POA by macdunk

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:47:15 +1200

Hi Morgy,

> The biggest impediment to high returns for fund management
> and investment businesses like Buffets is the difficulty in being able
> to move large sums of money between investments with the requisite
> liquidity requirement in both the target and departing stocks.

Plus the fact that funds are taxed when they do this, but private
investors (i.e. not traders) are not taxed when switching between
investments.

Of course all this is relative.  Buffett for instance probably couldn't
make any serious return by coming to New Zealand because our
market is too small for him.   Yet there are smaller fund managers that
eschew the NZ top ten (the shares with the best liquidity) and still
make acceptable returns.

>Hence
> the desire to stay involved once the investment decision is made. This
> must therefore leave them exposed in lean years and also to sudden
> "news" events that the smaller less capitalised trader can avoid or
> take advantage of.

Not always.  You would be surprised at the amount of churning that
goes on in allegedly long term funds.    But you are right in that one
thing a fund manager cannot do is sell most of their shares and sit on
the sidelines, waiting to time their moves in and out of the market.

I do take issue with your phrase 'lean years' Morgy.  Are you not the
same Morgy who was urging everyone to 'get out of the market' in the
run up to the attack on Iraq?    Yet my own defensive portfolio has
risen by something like 7% (after tax) in the nine months since that
time.  And that is without any buying and selling.   There are
companies that continue to do well, even in the so called 'lean years'.

> believe your strategy loses the advantage gained by the active private
> investor to quickly move between trending sectors and associated
> stocks.

My strategy is only to invest in the best one or two companies in a
given sector.   Over time the best shares rise above what is happening
in their sector.   I don't follow sectors at all, except to take advantage of
Mr Market when he drags down the price of a good company because
of 'industry factors'  (whatever that means).

>As for dividend return, I dont think that you have to hold for
> 12 months before you are entitled to a dividend. Lots of money can be
> made during that time.

True.  However when a company pays a big dividend, the share price
is hammered immediately.   The only way to get out before the big
price drop is to miss the dividend entirely.

>I agree with Macdunk that beating the bank isnt
>  exactly a dynamic goal

'Merely beating the bank' is not my goal.  I aim to do twice as well as
the bank.   Some people would see that as quite an aggressive
strategy.

> I think also the time input element is an important
> component of your investment philosophy.

Indeed it is.  I can go away for months if I want to and do nothing with
my investments knowing that my employees ( those are the people
who work in the companies in which I hold shares) are working damn
hard for me.     I don't need to go near a computer screen at all.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02