Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2003

Re: [sharechat] WRI and POA by macdunk

From: "Morgy" <ica.sports@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:22:12 +1200

Harry

With the greatest respect I think you must accept that an active investment
strategy in NZ might be completely different to Buffetts US operation. The
biggest impediment to high returns for fund management and investment
businesses like Buffets is the difficulty in being able to move large sums
of money between investments with the requisite liquidity requirement in
both the target and departing stocks. Hence the desire to stay involved once
the investment decision is made. This must therefore leave them exposed in
lean years and also to sudden "news" events that the smaller less
capitalised trader can avoid or take advantage of. I have on a number of
accasions pushed the line that Buffett has the advantage in that he has for
the most part ownership or active board roles in his "investment companies".
I believe your strategy loses the advantage gained by the active private
investor to quickly move between trending sectors and associated stocks. As
for divident return, I dont think that you have to hold for 12 months before
you are entitled to a dividend. Lots of money can be made during that time.
I agree with Macdunk that beating the bank isnt  exactly a dynamic goal and
once again I grind away at the same point that while one doesnt disagree
with what your philosophy is however its relevancy to the small active
investor is limited by your application of it. I think also the time input
element is an important component of your investment philosophy.

Regards

Morgy