Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2003

RE: [sharechat] reply to snoopy by macdunk

From: "Gavin Treadgold" <gav@rediguana.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:17:29 +1200

> > We can all make mistakes but with the right buying and selling
> > systems In place It Is almost risk free.
> But for many having a buying and selling strategy that works *and*
> they can stick to is quite difficult.

The problem with this is that a buying and selling strategy should work over
long periods of time. Investors are always exposed to more information and
techniques, and should hopefully be learning - well the smart ones at least.
And during the course of learning they should be modifying and attempting to
improve their system. So I think there would be very few investors who end
up with the same system they started with after a number of years
experience.

What is important is that...

 * they can have some general principles or goals that remain constant
(strategy)
 * they can adjust their system depending on their investing experiences and
other new knowledge they have gained (operational)
 * the operational techniques remain true to the strategic goals

So, you are right in saying that they should stick to their strategy, but it
is important that the operational techniques that they use vary depending on
their experience and new knowledge gained.

Cheers Gav