Re: [sharechat] TLS Chart Update

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:38:16 +0000

Hi Travis,

>Backtesting in such a way works no better than
>backtesting a single indicator on the entire market.
>Stocks do not have "personalities", although many
>traders seem to think they do.
>
>News comes along essentially randomly.
>
>I say bah humbug to the all knowing insider.

Except when the insider is buying?

>The precision to which someone can measure psychology
>in OHLCV data is only about as great as the precision
>with which someone can measure the amount of
>phlogiston in a piece of wood.  You can write the best
>programs and use the best hardware but it is a doomed
>enterprise.

Maybe, but I don't see anyone on this forum making the claim that
they can program a computer to trade automatically.

By the same token, I don't see any fundamental investor here claiming
they can pick shares by using automated fundamental analysis.

>TA users don't often pay much attention to fundamental
>information such as "news", they just read charts.

Sure but Phaedrus claims he does use fundamental analysis as well.

So saying that a trader who pays no attention to fundamental
information is likely to be on the fast track to failure is probably
something Phaedrus would agree with.

>>So what you are saying, Travis, is that successful
>>traders are really successful risk managers.
>>

> Yes.
>
> There are two aspects to trader money management and
> as I said neither of them involve charts.
>
> Traders decide on the average amount per trade they
> are going to commit, these methods include pyramiding
> vs anti-pyramiding strategies where the trade size is
> increased in line with equity increases or decreases,
> or optimal f and secure f.  These methods are always
> based on mathematical techniques and analysis of
> trades.  No charting is involved.  This is often
> referred to as "money management", though I prefer to
> call it "trade sizing" because "money management" has
> other meanings.

I can't remember a single discussion on 'trade sizing' taking place
on this forum.  Perhaps some successful traders out there would like
to comment on this subject?.

> The second aspect is the limitation of losses.  So
> called "risk management".  These basically involve
> stop losses of various sorts including fixed stops or
> trailing stops.  Once again it has nothing to do with
> technical analysis because it is based on your trade
> equity, not the price of the stock.

Please explain how you can 'fixed stop' or 'trailing stop' that is
not based on the price of a stock.

>Anyone is welcome to chip in with evidence that:
>
>TA systems work, including studies to support this
>assertion or comprehensive backtesting studies that
>work on valid out of sample data.
>
>That users of TA can outperform the market over the
>long term and that successful users outnumber what one
>might expect from completely random chance.
>
>That there exist successful TA users and that their
>success comes from TA.
>
>Provide evidence for some or all of these and I'll
>stop terrorising this group with all my horrible nasty
>little facts.
>
>Note that you need to do better than just quoting some
>article written by an internet pundit, I'm
>specifically looking for credible information with a
>degree of respectability and scientific repeatability.
> I know there are many articles making claims about
>TA, I don't need more claims I just want evidence.
>
>Once again, anyone is welcome to contribute here, not
>just Snoopy.

Yes I should probably take off my devil's advocate hat here and let
the real traders take over the argument

>If someone here has any credible
>evidence whatsoever I'd love to hear it.  I'm sure you
>all do because no rational thinking human being would
>follow an investment strategy without first
>determining whether or not it works, would they?

Well, I'm not so sure.  Plenty of people buy any property because
"property always goes up".   They still teach budding fund managers
'efficient market theory' at university.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"