Re: [sharechat] Warren and charts

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:38:16 +0000

Hi Bill,

>Snoopy wrote:
>
>>If Warren sees a stock that will yield him this amount
>>and it is in a downtrend
>
>>he will buy it.
>
>>Or if the stock price goes too far above fair value then
>>Warren will sell
>

>Now that is interesting, in that it suggests that Warren
>is not a "buy and hold", person.

Yes, actually it is a bit of a myth that Warren is strictly 'buy and
hold'.   Warren does sell if a business he is invested in becomes too
highly valued (the reverse effect of when it became undervalued and
he bought in).  For example, if his stock calculation shows a
projected internal rate of return of only around 5% he might consider
that too small a potential return to offset the risk  of continuing
to hold the stock.

I think the myth that Warren is a buy and holder arose because when
Warren looks for companies he looks for things that will be around
for at least twenty years.  This doesn't mean that Warren will
definitely hold that share for twenty years.  It means that if the
valuation remains compelling with respect to the market price he will
be happy to hold it for twenty years.  But if 'Mr Market' does decide
to get irrationally exhuberant over the stock then he will sell it.

>Perhaps it should be borne in mind that Warren buys a
>significant stake in a company which gives him a
>advantage over the small investor.

I used to think this myself.  There certainly are advantages to
being big.  You can walk into the door of a fund manager and offer to
buy a big block of shares, say 5% of a company, in one hit and
probably negotiate a discount while doing it.

But there are disadvantages in being big too.   For example, buying
into some of the second line shares that I am invested in, like LPC
and SCT, would only be a morning tea money transaction to Warren.
Even if Warren invested in something like Telecom ,and it doubled in
value, the total amount of Warren's gain would hardly be a blip on
the Berkshire Hathaway balance sheet.  On the other hand, you and I,
(starting with a much smaller asset base) could do very well out of
investing in the New Zealand market using Warren's principles, even
if Warren himself couldn't do the same.

>I wonder who would be buying when well above fair value, the
>suckers?
>
>Could there be a way that the "sucker" could give himself some
>protection. The chart posted might do just that.

People do have different investment time horizons and dividend yield
requirements.  So I think it would be unfair to brand anyone buying
a share off Warren as being a sucker.

However, given that a share is fundamentally overvalued and Warren
is already out of it, perhaps charts can help you here.  Buying a
share that is fundamentally overvalued probably means that the price
is driven by emotion.  A chart will provide a measure of this.   The
problem with this kind of approach is that every chartist thinks they
will be disciplined enough to get out before the big dip.  History
shows that when a high price share falls it can fall heavily and
suddenly.   Even if you can devise a trading system that gets you out
ahead of the crowd nine times out of ten, that tenth time can kill
you.   So I put it to you, why risk buying the expensive shares when
there is far less risk of ruin in buying the cheap ones?

SNOOPY

PS I enjoyed that link to the radio interview of Mary Buffett.  I
listened to it a couple of times to let it sink in!   The most
startling point I got out of it was that Warren considered that if a
small investor was making more than two investments per year he was
probably making too many.  Food for thought!

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"