[sharechat] Prospects for Powerco

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:38:17 +0000

MacDunk wrote:

"PWC is a company I'm doing some homework on at the
moment has been on a long down trend for ages cant go much lower
prospects look good If they consolidate and stick to the
knitting.   The gas might be a worry but that's down the track a
bit.  Any one any info on that I need a second opinion."

I don't follow this one closely MacDunk, but PWC had a big rights
issue to buy up some of those United Network out of Auckland assets
didn't they?  Or was it NGC assets?   Or was it both?

PWC is a network operator, rather than an energy seller, so may be
liable to future government regulation on what they can charge for
line rental.  I guess the big question with them is:

"Where is the growth going to come from?"

I know that Warren has bought into gas pipeline networks in the past.
A power network is a kind of natural monopoly.  But of course Warren
bought in when the owner of the pipes was desperate to sell and so
bought at a good price.  The question is what sort of price did PWC
pay for their new assets in relation to the earnings they can
reasonably expect from them?   Answer that question and you will be a
long way towards determining whether PWC is a good investment at
today's prices or not.

If anyone else can add some light to the prospects of Powerco, please
feel free to do so.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."