Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

[sharechat] PRG

From: "Morgy" <morgy40@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:40:13 +1200

Mike
Yes I was aware of the takeover offer provisons inregard to this offer,
however he has tried to grab it in the past for next to nothing and as you
suggest he will do so again if the opportunity is right. Going out on a limb
here as this is from memory, I understand that PRG does not pay dividends
and I had heard it suggested in the media that this is to drive out income
based investors. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated as my comment
should be considered idle gossip.

I did myself read an open briefing with their CEO and from what he was
saying PRG is a goldmine and will continue to develop even more excess cash
in the future, They have just raised heaps of money and branched into
personal loans using the PRG database which is huge, I personally recieved
an offer from them having been a previous customer. The personal finance
market has taken off since the banks got out of it several years ago and a
plethora of finance companies have been established in the last 3 years. The
interest rates can be phenominal. PRG have seen this develop and with there
inhouse database have simply moved across to personal lending with
established clients. In my opinion this is where they will grow the most, I
dont know if Noel Lemming actually make any money but it is after all just a
method for creating finance margins on loans based around products, with the
personal finance company they loose the overhead of having a store.
The reality is that if you buy a stereo for say $1500.00 over 3 years and
you dont pay say 15 months down the track, what is that stereo worth to them
once they pick it up, why bother with the stereo just give the folks the
money and if they dont pay put them to Bay Collection and that stuffs there
credit rating. You would be surprised at how low the default rate is. A
company that I have personal knowledge of has built a finance book in a
provincial city  from scratch with one person for the first year and now 3
in total of 1.2 million dollars in a little over 2 .5 years at interest
rates around 19 % and a default rate of less than 3 %,  there application or
book fee is worth $200,000.00 per annum and pays for all local costs
seperate to the interest money coming in.
In addition all clients take insurance and they get a kick back on that,
another amazing cashflow. Loans are now marketed the same as product
purchases, i.e from 25.00 per week you can buy $5000.00 off us etc etc.

Long waffle about personal finance but my point is that dont worry about
living and giving, keep an eye on the personal loan side of things as this
is the growth and the cashflow is huge.

Dont ask me why he got into knickers other than the obvious reason luvely
jubbly

More thoughts on PRG would be appreciated. Anybody have all the stats on
them.

Regards

Morgy