Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2002

Re: [sharechat] Steel & Tube

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:10:57 +0000

>Nevertheless despite the improved performance, return on
>shareholders equity was only 8829/121918 = 7.2% (according to my
>calculations).  So there aren't huge margins to be made in this
>business.

Ooops, I think a correction might be due to my Return on Equity
figure above.  The above figures are for the half year ended
31/12/2001

To calculate a company's return on equity you must
take the net profit for the year and divide it by the average
shareholders equity over that time period.   As a first
approximation for average shareholders equity you can use the
shareholders equity as listed in the report at the time the profit
announcement is made (assuming shareholders equity doesn't change
drastically throughout the year).  The net profit figure I have used
above is for a half year only.  On an annualised basis this should
be doubled so the actual ROE is a respectable 14.4%.  Can that ROE be
sustained into the future?   Any comments?  SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."