Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2002

Re: [sharechat] Steel & Tube

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:14:51 +0000

Hi salee,

Steel and Tube is on the outer radar screen of my watch list.  It is
a very boring company, but this is no bad thing from an investors
point of view as 'boring' often equates to 'overlooked'.

It has a strong market position in the steel section business in New
Zealand, and if the once rumoured merger with Fletcher Steel ever
came to pass they would hold a near monopoly on this line of
business.

The share price has jumped up sharply over the last year, but so
have the earnings.  If first half earnings are maintained in the
second half of the year, you might be looking at an imputed dividend
yield of around 9.5% even if you bought at today's prices.  There has
to be some doubt about that, though, as there is a risk of a
construction downturn should interest rates head north, and there is
potential competition from steel shut out of the US market by tariffs
to be dumped here.

Nevertheless despite the improved performance, return on shareholders
equity was only 8829/121918 = 7.2% (according to my calculations).
So there aren't huge margins to be made in this business.

STU seem to be under threat of being 'heavied' by Australian
majority shareholder 'Onesteel' into buying another arm of the family
business.  Whether this is a good deal or not only the independent
report on the proposed deal will disclose.

Despite this, I would rate STU as well worth considering for the
'income' part of any portfolio. SNOOPY

disclosure: No shares held

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."