Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

[sharechat] China B Shares

From: "Chris Morgan" <actionsports.napier@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:20:05 +1300

Hi folks
Looking for some info on this one, possibly something that has been discussed before or maybe not even within the bounds of this group, anyway here goes. Mid last year I read an an article about a guy (cant remember his name) who was travelling throughout the world in a vehicle convoy because thats what he liked to do. He was quite young & had retired from commercial life after making a killing on the futures / stock market a few years ago. He recomended "china B shares" listed on the NY Nasdaq exchange because China was the new world order in terms of share potential, his theory was that 200 years ago it was England / Europe, the last 100 years have been Ameirca & the next period will be China, essentially because of the need for infrastrcuture to support the developement of their coming new economy. I had put this to the back of the old grey matter until watching TV & there was a piece on the new dam they were building and a piece last month on the redevelopment of Bejing  for the Olympics. I quess it seemed that he may have something. I am aware that some companies have been burnt by their investment in China & they have had something of a wild west feel to it, however that is a natural cycle of new Markets (some would say that NZ still hasnt quite lost that feel).

My questions are

1. How does one investigate this theory in relation to share development
2. How does one investigate this particular type of share on the Nasdaq, i.e web sites , brokers etc.
3. Any comments would be welcome

Regards

Morgy