Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: [sharechat] Bestness Companies + Foolish Small Cap Stocks

From: jerrold poh <pohj@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:07:49 +1200

> > What's been really interesting me atm is the small cap stocks (read,
> > not penny stocks) posted on the fool's website (www.fool.com), and
> > the way that big institutions don't touch them (being that any
> > purchases they make would severely upset the stock price), which
> > could be a way in for us small investors to make our profits.
> >

> I agree.  But small cap shares seem to be valued at lesser multiples
> than blue chip shares, so I think the old adage "buy value" applies
> here even more.

True, in a way, the fools are buying stocks pre-rule maker (ie, baby
Microsofts in the making), but more often than not, management isn't
able to keep up with the pace, so the fools sell their shares in
them more often then in their rule makers / breakers ports.

Anyway, hold on to your winners, and drop your loosers .. I haven't
known them to pick any winners yet though, but from previous postings,
they've made quite abit of money when they start dropping their
"loosers".

> >>"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
> >>"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
> >
> >Anyway, on a different note, the above statement has been puzzling
> >me for awhile, and has taken me longer to figure out than the
> >Phaedrus mystery but I think I've got it :).
> >
> >I don't suppose it has anything to do with Abraham Lincoln :).
> >

> You've gone way over my head Jerrold!   Tell me more!
>
> All the sig. means is that if you dress something up with fancy
> words, that isn't enough on its own to change reality.   Or if you
> want a more direct interpretation relevant to this forum you could
> take it to mean "Beware of corporate spin.   Always check to see if
> the numbers are there to back up the verbal presentation of the
> results."

Yeah, can't seem to find the website now that I'm put on the spot, but
apparently it was said by Abraham Lincoln, and he was talking about how
politicians like to base their arguements on false assumptions (ie,
calling a tail a leg).

If you base your opinions and thoughts on false assumptions, you can
proove even the most ridiculas things (quite like a friend of mine who
had a maths assignment, with the assumption that 0 = 5, and with that
assumption, had to prove that 23 = 12 :) ).

Jerrold.