Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: [sharechat] Bestness Companies + Foolish Small Cap Stocks

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:52:19 +0000

Hi jerrold,

> What's been really interesting me atm is the small cap stocks (read,
> not penny stocks) posted on the fool's website (www.fool.com), and
> the way that big institutions don't touch them (being that any
> purchases they make would severely upset the stock price), which
> could be a way in for us small investors to make our profits.

I agree.  But small cap shares seem to be valued at lesser multiples
than blue chip shares, so I think the old adage "buy value" applies
here even more.

>>"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
>>"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
>
>Anyway, on a different note, the above statement has been puzzling
>me for awhile, and has taken me longer to figure out than the
>Phaedrus mystery but I think I've got it :).
>
>I don't suppose it has anything to do with Abraham Lincoln :).

You've gone way over my head Jerrold!   Tell me more!

All the sig. means is that if you dress something up with fancy
words, that isn't enough on its own to change reality.   Or if you
want a more direct interpretation relevant to this forum you could
take it to mean "Beware of corporate spin.   Always check to see if
the numbers are there to back up the verbal presentation of the
results."

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."