Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] AIR NZ

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:23:28 +0000

Hi Warner,

> Hi Snoopy, on a mates computer and was just wondering why you are
> still holding the B's with that rather grim picture?

Things may not be going according to management's original plans.
But I don't think the picture is that grim looking from the current
level of $1.30 for the B shares.

What I think will happen is as follows.   Half of Ansett will be sold
off to Singapore Airlines.  This means Air New Zealand's share of the
money for the fleet upgrade will be reduced to a more managable
longer term $1 billion, or maybe even less when the link up with
Virgin Blue happens (mentioned later on).  Retaining a half interest
in Ansett will guarantee the feed of passengers from Ansett through
to Air NZ domestically.  Virgin Blue will cancel their plans to float
in Australia and will take up a 10% share in Air New Zealand (allowed
under current rules) and will become Air New Zealand's discount brand
in Australia.  This will further reduce the need for Ansett to fund
their fleet upgrade as Virgin Blue has nice new planes.  This will
tighten the B scrip nicely.

The result of all this means the duopoly in Australia is restored,
landing rights issues are protected and a solid platform will be
laid for future growth.

The cash issue will go ahead, I will take up my rights at a nice
cheap price and the balance sheet will be restored to a solid
position.  Hardly a longer term grim picture.

The A shares however will be depressed for longer until Virgin sets
up their New Zealand company (if they can set up Virgin Blue in
Australia, why not Virgin Black in New Zealand?)  and buys out
Brierley Investment's stake. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."