|
Thursday 26th May 2011 |
Text too small? |
The Government is making a mockery of its promise to seek an election day mandate on KiwiSaver changes, the Labour Party says.
Following last week's budget, Parliament passed legislation under urgency that would cut annual government contributions from $1042.86 to $521.43 starting in July this year, though the payment would be paid in 2012.
While the Government halved its payments, employee and employer contributions would increase from 2 percent to 3 percent.
Prime Minister John Key said KiwiSaver cuts would not impact New Zealanders until after the election and people would be able to vote on the changes.
But Labour finance spokesman David Cunliffe said the Government lied about seeking a mandate as it has passed legislation that effects people starting July.
"The Government has already budgeted on a 50 percent reduction in its contribution before it goes to the electorate for a mandate."
Key maintained that the changes would not kick in until after the election and a new government could reverse the changes.
"In July there is a new formula, but effectively what happens is that's not paid until an annual basis," he told reporters.
"So if there was change of government on November 26, and the incoming government decided they could afford to and wanted to make a change it could do so."
BLT - Strong revenue and underlying earnings growth
MFB - Food Bag reports full year profitability up 5.3%
TWR - Tower reports strong HY earnings
IPL - FY26 Annual Results
May 21st Morning Report
May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026
PEB - Draft LCD Proposes Medicare Coverage for Triage and Triage
MEL - Meridian Energy monthly operating report for April 2026