By NZPA
Monday 24th February 2003 |
Text too small? |
Standard & Poor's said in a statement today that Qantas' "robust" result was in line with expectations and underpinned the airline's BBB + ratings.
"The next few months, however, will probably be very challenging for the airline industry, with the threat of military conflict in Iraq and increased terrorism concerns," the agency said.
"Already under relentless pressure to reduce its cost base from low-cost competition domestically and overcapacity globally, Qantas has announced further capacity and cost reduction measures to mitigate the `war-related' softening that has recently emerged in the forward bookings on some of its international routes."
Qantas was looking to remove $A1 billion in costs over the next three years, including the reduction of 1500 full time jobs.
Australia's biggest airline lifted its first-half net profit 130 percent to $A352.5 million due to stronger international routes and a solid domestic performance.
Qantas' cash flows and credit quality were vulnerable to prolonged industry weakness given the airline's large capital programme and debt burden, although it was in a better position than most airlines to weather adverse market conditions.
After being sold down following the result last week, Qantas shares last traded up 7c at $A3.46.
No comments yet
POT Financial Results for the year to 30 June 2025
MOVE FY25 Results for the year ended 30 June 2025
BPG - Completion of Retail Offer
Comvita releases results for the year ended 30 June 2025
August 29th Morning Report
Air New Zealand announces 2025 financial result
August 28th Morning Report
VSL - 2025 date of Annual Meeting of shareholders
WIN - Winton announces FY25 Annual Results
Meridian Energy Limited 2025 Full Year Financial Results