By Chris Hutching
|
Friday 30th July 2004 |
Text too small? |
Part of the confusion arose when the Green Party "unearthed" a Ministry of Economic Development report assessing the potential of New Zealand's waterways to produce hydro generation.
The Greens claimed that because the report, published on the ministry's website this week, made reference to Aqua, it must still be a "live" project. They backed this up by pointing out Meridian Energy hadn't yet withdrawn consent applications and still owned the "relevant" land.
Hodgson said the report was written in January, long before Meridian abandoned Aqua. "I would like to make it clear that there are absolutely no plans to revisit this decision."
Sceptics are not convinced. Staff at South Island regional and district councils this week called on Meridian to explain why it wasn't withdrawing its applications for a series of power stations along the lower Waitaki River.
Informed sources suggest Meridian may seek a modified version of Project Aqua or is simply awaiting a change of political fortunes to revive the project. Simultaneously it is applying pressure by announcing new 15% power rises because it says there is a shortage of power generation and the price hike reflects demand. Last year it raised prices 15% on the grounds that the money was needed to pay for Project Aqua.
No comments yet
EROAD Appoints New Director Progressing Board Renewal
OCA delivered record full year result
BLT - Strong revenue and underlying earnings growth
MFB - Food Bag reports full year profitability up 5.3%
TWR - Tower reports strong HY earnings
IPL - FY26 Annual Results
May 21st Morning Report
May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026