Sharechat Logo

Canterbury Mortgage halts withdrawals as reserves dwindle

Tuesday 22nd July 2008

Text too small?
Canterbury Mortgage Finance suspended withdrawals until at least March next year after an "unprecedented" number of requests for withdrawals.

"If the level of withdrawal requests had continued, then our cash reserves would soon be insufficient," trust spokesman Don McBeath said in a statement.

The NZ$250 million fund still plans to make its quarterly interest payment due on October 1, though "it is likely the return will be less than we have previously been able to pay."

Canterbury Mortgage, started nine years ago, typically holds cash equivalent to 5% to 10% of the value of the fund, with most of its investors' money in about 300 mainly short-term loans secured by first mortgages.

The failure of high-profile finance companies had eroded confidence in the sector and probably contributed to the increase in withdrawal requests, the company said.

By Jonathan Underhill



  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

EROAD Appoints New Director Progressing Board Renewal
OCA delivered record full year result
BLT - Strong revenue and underlying earnings growth
MFB - Food Bag reports full year profitability up 5.3%
TWR - Tower reports strong HY earnings
IPL - FY26 Annual Results
May 21st Morning Report
May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026