By Nick Stride
|
Friday 8th February 2002 |
Text too small? |
The shares had fallen 17c by mid-morning yesterday in the first trading since the Australian newspaper on Wednesday reported "severe service problems" were "throwing a shadow" over the joint Telecom/EDS $A500 million contract with Commonwealth Bank of Australia.
Telecom has denied difficulties, saying a recently concluded review of the contract had identified no significant issues.
Telecommunications stocks have recently been falling around the world after a strong January rally. A share dealer said yesterday the newspaper report would have spooked already nervous investors.
The Australian quoted "Telecom insiders" as claiming competitors for the telecommunications contract for Insurance Australia Group, formerly NRMA, were stirring up rumours in an attempt to damage Telecom's chances of winning the tender.
The Australian said two severe nationwide outages in the last week had crashed CBA's internet platform and snagged its ATM network.
Telecom has been struggling to break even in Australia since the 1999 acquisition of subsidiary AAPT.
No comments yet
TWL - Share Purchase Plan Results
GMT revaluation, unit buyback and proposed structure update
Devon Funds Morning Note - 17 February 2026
CEN - Contact successfully completes NZ$450m Placement
February 17th Morning Report
PFI - Divestments
CEN offers to purchase remaining 25% of King Country Energy
February 16th Morning Report
SkyCity Appoints Chief Financial Officer
February 13th Morning Report