Thursday 15th November 2018
|Text too small?|
New Zealand Oil & Gas says the Kohatukai-1 well it is a partner in will be plugged and abandoned after failing to deliver commercial volumes of gas.
The well, drilled south-east of New Plymouth last month, had elevated gas readings in the Matapo and Mangahewa sands. But the company says further sampling and analysis undertaken since then suggests those shows were from residual gas.
“The joint venture’s view is that no economically viable gas reserves have been encountered in the well. The well will now be plugged and abandoned.”
NZOG shares fell 3.2 percent to 61 cents before the well result was announced. They have fallen about 15 percent so far this year.
The Wellington-based explorer has a 25 percent stake in the permit, as does its parent company Ofer Global Group. Operator AWE owns 12.5 percent, with the balance held by its parent company, Mitsui E&P Australia.
NZOG said it does not currently plan more onshore wells in Taranaki.
No comments yet
Hawke's Bay council advances Napier Port IPO plan
Government outlines planned hikes in minimum wage
Chorus could lift its dividend post-UFB rollout but risks remain
T&G Global profit dented by cheaper tomatoes, small grape harvest
NZ posts widest current account deficit since 2009, in line with expectations
Heartland says new bank capital rules won't hurt as much as the market thinks
ISS supports Vital Healthcare's rebel investors
December 19th Morning Report
RBNZ's bank capital proposals are 'radical', says rating agency Fitch
Cheaper petrol, low mortgage rates bolster consumer confidence in run-up to Xmas