Sharechat Logo

Kohatukai-1 to be plugged and abandoned - NZOG

Thursday 15th November 2018

Text too small?

New Zealand Oil & Gas says the Kohatukai-1 well it is a partner in will be plugged and abandoned after failing to deliver commercial volumes of gas.

The well, drilled south-east of New Plymouth last month, had elevated gas readings in the Matapo and Mangahewa sands. But the company says further sampling and analysis undertaken since then suggests those shows were from residual gas.

“The joint venture’s view is that no economically viable gas reserves have been encountered in the well. The well will now be plugged and abandoned.”

NZOG shares fell 3.2 percent to 61 cents before the well result was announced. They have fallen about 15 percent so far this year.

The Wellington-based explorer has a 25 percent stake in the permit, as does its parent company Ofer Global Group. Operator AWE owns 12.5 percent, with the balance held by its parent company, Mitsui E&P Australia.

NZOG said it does not currently plan more onshore wells in Taranaki.

(BusinessDesk)



  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

BLT - Strong revenue and underlying earnings growth
MFB - Food Bag reports full year profitability up 5.3%
TWR - Tower reports strong HY earnings
IPL - FY26 Annual Results
May 21st Morning Report
May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026
PEB - Draft LCD Proposes Medicare Coverage for Triage and Triage
MEL - Meridian Energy monthly operating report for April 2026