|
Thursday 25th November 2010 |
Text too small? |
Pike River Coal representatives have allowed themselves to speculate on the commercial future of the mine for the first time since Friday last week, when the first of two massive explosions ripped through mine, leaving 29 miners presumed dead.
While reluctant to discuss the issue at this stage, Whittall pointed to examples of other mines he'd worked at where there had been fatal explosions in the past.
"But if the roadways are open there's still 50-odd million tonnes of coal there," Whittall told a media briefing. "The roadways are probably in good condition. No doubt there's been a lot of damage to a lot of equipment but at this stage that's just not what we're focusing on."
The Pike River board will meet tomorrow for a preliminary discussion about the way forward for the company and initial look at the "impairment of the asset," said chairman John Dow. "We do have to keep the lights on, and we do have to keep the company running," said chairman John Dow.
Further details were likely after tomorrow's board meeting.
BusinessDesk.co.nz
EROAD Appoints New Director Progressing Board Renewal
OCA delivered record full year result
BLT - Strong revenue and underlying earnings growth
MFB - Food Bag reports full year profitability up 5.3%
TWR - Tower reports strong HY earnings
IPL - FY26 Annual Results
May 21st Morning Report
May 20th Morning Report
May 19th Morning Report
PYS - PaySauce to announce F26 full year results on 27 May 2026