Re: [sharechat] Pot reply to robin

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:14:40 +0100

Hi G/J et al

So it seems we can conclude that the union issues don't do LPC any
favours when it comes to perception but because it is unashamedly an
income stock.

Regarding management, it seems to me the two big issues are building
business with both shipping companies and exporters and keeping the
operation rolling and efficient, which includes both good industrial
relations *and* the right investments on the operational side. On the
latter front, I note LPC just invested in new straddles [1].

Robin

[1] LPC - 21/05/2004 - ASSET

REL: 1409 HRS Lyttelton Port Company Limited (NS)

ASSET: LPC: Lyttelton Port purchases new straddles

"Lyttelton Port purchases new straddles"

Investing in future growth at its container terminal, Lyttelton Port
Company
has placed an order for four new Kalmar straddle carriers at a cost of
$5M.

Commenting on the investment, Chief Executive Peter Davie said, "We are
taking a long-term approach to building the port's assets, and the
purchase
of four new straddles is one of the first steps in our overall plan to
provide fast, efficient turnaround for our customers.

The straddles are expected to arrive in January and will both assist in
improving service levels to shipping lines and reduce waiting times for
key
supply chain partners such as road and rail.

In the process of evaluating our infrastructure and assets, we
identified
that we required additional straddles to cope with the continuing volume
growth in containers. It is the first significant investment in new
equipment
at the terminal for a number of years."

The new straddles will be capable of lifting 50 tonnes, a 25% increase
in the
capacity of the existing machines. They will have on-board weighing
systems
and twin lift capability, which will also help increase productivity.

Two of the new straddles will replace older less reliable machines,
increasing the overall fleet from 11 to 13. Lower maintenance on the new
straddles means additional resourcing can be allocated to improve the
reliability of the remaining fleet.

"We are confident that our long-term approach to investing in assets and
infrastructure, coupled with our commitment to delivering fast,
efficient
turnaround will result in Lyttelton Port delivering on its potential,"
said
Mr Davie.

- ENDS -

Peter Davie
Lyttelton Port Company
PH: (03) 328 8198
End CA:00100443 For:LPC    Type:ASSET      Time:2004-05-21:14:09:46