Re: [sharechat] Sailing into the sunset with Norgate?

From: "Fiona Phibbs" <fibz@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 17:14:02 +1200

Hi Snoopy

In regards to the DDM

The reason I have used it is - as a minority shareholder my only return on
the stock is dividends (and capital gain - but don't tell the taxman ;-)  )
so this is the relevant CF model for me for this stock. Also have considered
WRI a fairly mature company so have used constant growth DDM -   D1/ r-g

To calculate my expected return on equity in the denominator have used
CAPM - inputs for CAPM are:
WRI beta 0.84, NZ market risk premium 7.5% - can get these from analysts
websites got mine from PWC. Used RFR of 5yr Treasury bond of 5.87% - as I'm
a long term holder, but you could use an earlier maturity if you were a
short term holder or could also adjust the rate upward if you thought
interest rates were on the rise.

To calculate growth rate in divs in the denominator could use historical div
growth rate for WRI over the last ten years or so but I have used the
implied growth rate rate from the sustainable growth model (g=RR*ROE) where
RR is div retention rate.  This I believe gives WRI's true growth potential
for the future rather than just using past rates.  Of course this gives a
low growth rate but as WRI is not retaining much cash this would be a fair
assumption.

Calculate D1 in the numerator and 'Plug and play' gives a value of around
$1.21.

Of course I believe valuation is just a guess any way, really depends
greatly on your input assumptions especially in the denominator Could just
as easily use other assumptions that were equally as valid and get a totally
different value.

I guess you could say with this valuation I should be selling?  But the
decision for me is not as easy as that.  The big question is where do I get
a comparable yield?  I've seen too many people in the NZ market selling out
their stock in takeovers for a small premium then missing out on all the
future gains from what was a good sound company (not saying WRI is in this
case but you get my point), and with nowhere half as good to put their
money.  IMO sometimes investing is more than just instant gratification -
some of the best returns take time.

  cheers Dean