Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2004

RE: [sharechat] Fundamentals Snoopy! and his Pups woody reply

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:58:52 +1200

Hi Woody,

> Snoopy
> If you researched TA even half as much as I am now researching FA you
> would be half as close to understanding TA. Obviously you see bars and
> I see stars where that concerns. I fail to understand why you are so
> negative in such a broad area.

I don't trade currencies or metals or sharemarket indices like you do
Woody.  Perhaps T/A works well in these areas.   I bow to your
superior experience in those fields.

Meanwhile back in the world of shares (this is sharechat after all) ,
which is where I operate, I have enough F/A opportunities to research
without dipping into T/A.    I let the T/A guys and gals on this forum
keep me up to date with that side of things!

> As for Put/Call ratio, Shorting Interest, etc, they are
>decidingly Fundamental Indicators.

If that is so, why don't companies report on measures like Put/Call
ratio, Shorting Interest, etc,in their annual reports?  Would you not
think that if this was genuine fundamental information that investors
should know about, that a least one company might incorporate such
information in their annual report?    Can you name one?

I notice you have avoided answering my other questions, so I'll throw
them open to anyone else on the forum who can answer them.

>q1/ What does the graphical representation of the PE Ratio of the
>S&P500 shares tell you, as a trader?
>
>I note that there is a quote given when explaining the graph you post
>that
>
>"The PE ratio does not work very well as a timing device"
>
>So what would you, as a trader, hope to gain out of this P/E vs time
>graph you have presented?
>

>q2/  I have to ask where is value in a simple support
> resistance buy sell strategy that keeps you out of winning
> trades?
>

> q3/ If a high resistance level has not been
> established *ever*, then what is a chartist to do?    How do they
> avoid being flicked out of an uptrending share the moment it
> encounters the slightest price wobble, yet is still fundamentally very
> cheap?  WRI would be a good example here.
>

> q4/ From what I have been able to figure,
>  successful F/A strategies can be written down on paper.     By
> contrast successful T/A strategies seem to have to be rewritten for
> each situation, with different combinations of indicators for
> different shares and different time periods.    Why is that?
>

> q5/ The 'dot com' boom.  Could T/A could have got you out
>( of individual shares) before the big bust happened?
>

> q6/ when a share has low market liquidity, by using
> T/A  you run the risk of not buying a share while it is cheap and not
> entering  the share until any price run up is well underway.   True?

A still curious

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy