Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2004

Re: [sharechat] Short Selling Conditions

From: "Cristine Kerr" <criskerr@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:16:02 +1000

Agreed, agreed, agreed.
----- Original Message -----
From: Baa Baa
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:46 PM
Subject: Re: [sharechat] Short Selling Conditions

Stop losses ...

Are an open advertisement to the buyer, that sellers are in the market [at
fixed and observable prices], and consequently, those with the capital and
resolve to do so, can drive -down- a price position by selling, such that
stop losses are triggered in succession, hence presenting an opportuntiy for
the perpetrator -to be the acquiring party! Is it not conceivable that the
seller is also the buyer?

IMO, the only good stop loss order is the 'mental stop loss' and a 'hot
wire' to the market price. I for one would -Never- disclose my sell price
[place a forward stop loss oder] prior to actually selling [in stosks].
Forces greater than mine are sure to capitalise on my vulnerability and
naieve disclosure otherwise.

In options, where it moves quickly and in large %ages, a trailing stop loss
has merit. In stocks, it's the lazy traders advertisement to cunning buyers
with the wherewithall to create the price that allows them to acquire -your-
stock.

Think about it.
BAA

Need more speed? Get Xtra JetStream  @ http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream