Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2004

RE: [sharechat] Short Selling Conditions

From: "Baa Baa" <baa_baa@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:35:27 +0000

Some excellent points made and noted, however within a narrow context of
local AUS/NZ markets, as opposed to the accessible opportunity of the really
large markets ...

In precious metals (as extreme, but still real example), -ergo commodities,
where trading regulation extends only to alleviating counterparty risk
through ability to cover positions 'in currency' versus the commodity
actuallly traded(!), such exemplifying disparities emerge where paper short
positions actually exceed the entire known existance of the commodity
itself, let alone the annual production. (silver, and gold). This is an
extreme, but real, example of short selling (hedging in various forms) gone
mad, and a fundamental driver for [long / speculative] investment based on
'overhang', -ergo against the counterparty, those with the capacity and
capability to sustain short sales, and roll-overs ad infinitum, position as
effective market controllers, until such time as the price increase [for
whatever reason] forces [short] capitulation, hence the short versus long
battle is concluded.

In stocks, similar circumstance pervades, where short positons can be taken
-without the underlying ability [or requirement!]- to recompense an
exercised position with the stock [asset] itself, and instead, cash
compensation as closure is -acceptable- without regard for provision of the
asset itself! Extraordinary, but real.

Short selling is a reality of the stock and commodities markets, and a
useful vehicle for taking positions in a declining market circumstance, or
in commodities as a hedge against falling prices where inventory is held [or
speculative profit can be garnered], however, the travesty occurs in the
situation where settlement is permitted [by the mediating party - the
exchange commissions] .. -in cash-, as opposed to the -assets- sold short.

One does not need to be Sherlock Holmes to determine that circumstances
exist where some stocks are sold short to such an extent that the entire
market cap is in fact exceeded in the short position! This can only be
achieved where it is permissable to settle in currency as opposed to the
asset itself. Think about it.

IMO, the system is seriously fecked, but the system does exist, and while it
does, this presents opportinuty, which, for those of moral fibre might
appear appalling, whereas, for those of interest in material gain, it
appears compelling.

So while such circumstance exists, why focus ones capital gain outcome
solely on appreciating assets when one can achieve the same desirable
outcome within an asset class that is in price decline? Especially when the
mechanism not only exists, it is advocated and supported by regulations
which permit settlement in other than the underlying assets sold short! What
a gift.

It is a strange and obsequious world we live in. But it is real, and
knowledge of how to particpate is critical, as is complete lack of emotional
ties to ethical business practice. History may eventually show that the
-mode- of profit achievement which exists in this -form- is both unethical
and unsustainable. But for now, it is -in fact- real. [for those
knowledgable, willing, and able to participate].

BAA

p.s. one shouldn't read neccessarily that that one does indeed participate,
moreover, that one understands/interprets the ethical and practical hurdles
of doing so, and shares that with you. On the other hand, why wouldn't you,
or I, do so? [while such incredible opportunity presents itself].

It is indeed, a strange and obsequious world we live in.

Check out the Xtra gaming servers @  http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming