Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2004

RE: [sharechat] Condensed Matter Physics and the Stock Market

From: "david.gibson" <david.gibson@k.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:08:06 +1200

Stephen,

I think the relevance of the paper is the tools and methods showing the
correlation of factors between the Nikkei 1985 - 1993 and the S&P500 1996 -
2004.  The authors make no claim to having a method to track a deterministic
market - they simply use geophysical techniques to detect signature patterns
of herding behaviour (up or down).

The paper makes a good case that the "herding" behaviour can be detected
from the index time series.  (That the behaviour of the 2 indicies, at
different times, exhibits the same driving "psychology").

Of course, what is of prime interest to investors are the "monster" events -
the turning point between "boom" and 'bust".  The paper makes a good case
that a useful "signature" can be extracted from the time series leading to
an indication that a new pattern of behaviour has begun.

If you are interested in their current predictions:

http://www.ess.ucla.edu/faculty/sornette/prediction/index.asp#prediction

I recognise that their approach is not easy to understand.  (Even figuring
out exactly what they are predicting is not easy to understand!).  However,
I have been following Sornette's papers (and book) since the resources were
pointed out to me by Daniel Vidal.  I am increasingly of the opinion that
they have discovered a very useful market timing method that could improve
on existing market models.

/dbg