Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2004

Re: [sharechat] Option trading

From: mixtrader <mixtrader@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:53:37 +1200

Looks like a fairly good reply from Baa Baa (made perfect sense to me
anyway).  It is unfortunate that the NZ market doesn't have the depth to
support really active options trading such as experienced in the USA.  We
certainly suffer from a shortage of venture capital in NZ, to some extent
the options market fills this void in USA.

I am currently considering expanded trading in USA market - can anyone
recommend a reasonable publication (or access to electronic media) that
discusses the benefits and the pitfalls (costs) in establishing a USA bank
account and a trading account with an on-line broker (don't expect broker
recommendations, just the legal and other issues that may arise).  Has
anyone completed a cost comparison on whether there is advantage in having a
bank account in a country that you are trading in as opposed to operating
offshore trading activities using an offshore broker but an account
domiciled in NZ.  Have any of you traded shares in overseas markets using NZ
brokers?

Hard to say whether I am gambling or not but it all seems worth it for the
thrill of getting it right from time to time.

Don't go Cris - divergent opinions and values is what makes the world an
interesting place - I hate dull moments.