Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2004

[sharechat] SPN was LPC Questions -reply

From: Harley <tomhow@paradise.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:13:17 +1200

Hi  Snoopy,

>Perhaps you can tell us?     Are you a shareholder?   Do you live in
Southland?   How 'cash hungry' is the Southland Regional Council?
If they don't need the cash perhaps they will direct that it be left within
>the port busines

Yes, no,-Nth. Canty. They appear to be passive shareholders with no directors
on the board.The board has stated they expect to maintain the div. this coming
year.

>Are Southland Port 'doing a Lyttelton' and not maintaining their
infrastructure properly?  (I should add here that I believe the
management changes have fixed this problem at Lyttelton).   What big
>bills are on the horizon?

No,  They haven't foreshadowed any.

>What is the breakdown of trade at the Southland Port?   How will it be
affected by the current outlook for farming, forestry, aluminium and
fishing?    These are the kind of questions I would be asking if I was a
>shareholder/potential shareholder.

2m. tonnes  35% export, 65% import,  imports may or may not decrease,but
Southland is a very wealthy area, and production will continue to exported.
Rationalization of shipping services is  an unknown which effects all ports
smaller ones more so. Also low turnover of shares - not for short term.

Harley