Re: [sharechat] a cautionary tale?

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:35:04 +1300

Hi Stephen,

>> In New Zealand, and to a large extent Australia as well, we are
>> blessed with having a large number of high yielding investments to
>> choose from.
>
>By "yield" you mean "dividend yield", yes?

Yes

>>With this kind of investment, forecasting growth in future years is
>>less important than short term forecasting the sustainability of the
>>current position.
>
>Could you clarify what you mean by "sustainability of the current
>position"? Do you mean "ability to maintain current earnings and
>dividends".

Not exactly.

I mean the ability to maintain the current dividend *yield*, or in the rare
case where the dividend yield is greater than the earnings yield, the
ability to retain the current earnings yield.

Example.    WRI has a gross dividend yield of 12.5%, based on a
dividend rate of 11.5cps and a share price of $1.40.    There is a drop
in earnings and dividend announced, with the annual dividend forecast
to drop to 8.5c.   At the same time the share price suddenly drops to
$1.20.   That means a gross dividend return of 10.7%.    That is still a
good return, and hardly cause for selling the share if income is what
you want off it.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy