Re: [sharechat] TLS

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:44:15 +1300

Hi winner69,

>Over the last few days 467 has been a solid support
>level - several times on Monday and again today it dropped to that
>price ... but didn't go any lower.
>
>Phaedrus has shown us that after the long downtrend was broken
there
>was a period when the price trended up nicely. He also pointed out
>recently that that uptrend has ceased and that TLS is now in a trading
>range and with todays action it seems that 467 is a solid support
>level of the current trading range.
>
>On fundamentals the market seems rather confused. The latest half
year
>result was a bit mixed - cost savings of about $150M but then they
>spent $250M more chasing market share. And the market is probably
>concerned about further potential writedowns re Reach and talk of
>acquiring Fairfax makes a few punters nervous
>
>However the dividend will underpin the price at the current level and
>when you take into account this magic of this 467 figure buying at
>this price is probably a safe bet.

I always get amused when I see that phrase 'safe bet'.

My dictionary defines 'safe' as meaning 'free from risk'.

While 'bet' is 'a promise made between parties on the probable
outcome of an uncertain fact.'

The way I look at it, where you have uncertainty you have risk.   So the
whole idea of a 'safe bet' is a tautology, usually made by the betting
person in an attempt to convince themselves that their position is less
risky than it really is.

However, that little diversion into the English language over, I fully
appreciate the desire to limit downside risk (upside risk is never a
problem) on any investment and indeed this is something I control in
my own portfolio by very careful share selection.

I think Telstra does have a low downside risk.   That's because it is the
dominant player in the telecommunications industry in Australasia by
far.   It has a solid asset backing per share.   It has a proven ability to
compete vigorously in the markets in which it operates.  It has a stable
profit growth profile, notwithstanding the PCCW fiasco which it seems
they have learned from.  And yes it does have a good yield in the point
of view of Oz investors who are the primary drivers of the share price.

The fact that the share price has not gone lower than $4.67 recently is
about as useful as knowing that the ultimate answer to the ultimate
question is 43.    Interesting, but not very useful as a fact in its own
right.

>You can always bail out at 500 odd (top of the trading range) if
>things don't look too good in a few weeks/months.

So the share price will rise 15% or so to $A5 if things start not looking
so good?    In that  case I hope that things 'don't look so good' for my
whole share portfolio for the rest of the year!

Still you are right that Telstra does have good liquidity, which is an
 important consideration in any investment that at some point you
might want to quit.

>Phaedrus also said that often these trading ranges are often a period
>of consolidation before the uptrend starts again.

Or it could just mean the share has found fair value, and with the
stabalization of the business model, the extreme volatility of the past
has gone.

>My theory is that if
>the price breaks out of the top of the trading range the new uptrend
>will rise as much as it previously rose from the commencement of the
>previous uptrend - ie to about 542 or thereabouts.
>
>Thats a good return from 467

That sounds like a hope, rather than a sound theory.

>Numbers reflected on a drawing that reflects the sentiment of the
>multitudes say this is likely - and the TLS chart seems to behave
>quite well.

Numbers on the chart reflect the snapshot sentiments of fringe players
who are trading on the day at that time.  ' The multitude' either let their
pension funds determine what will happen for them, or have the last
Telstra report filed in a back room while they get on with their daily
lives.   In the absense of an extreme event, the multitude are probably
not hunched over their computers trying to pick the next share price
breakout.

However, there is no reason to suppose that the traders around the
margin will not continue to behave predictably, somewhat along the
lines of their past behaviour, unless of course they decide not to do so!

SNOOPY

discl: hold TLS

--
Message sent by Snoopy