[sharechat] Employment Relations Amendment Bill

From: mixtrader <mixtrader@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:54:52 +1300

Hi Sharechatters

Following on from the discussion on risk...

I am keen to know your views on the impact of the legislative changes proposed by Ms Wilson with particular reference to the risk it poses the economy in general and (more specifically) the risk it poses the NZ equities markets.

For the record, my own analysis is that it will increase business compliance costs, decrease worker productivity, decrease GDP per capita, increase problems in the labour market through increased activism, and limit the willingness of entrepreneurial people to embark on new undertakings or expansion of existing businesses.

My thoughts are that the fundamentalists among us might view some industries as being inherently more risky for investment which could lead to something of a shift in the firms that they are prepared to invest in.