Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2004

Re: [sharechat] George W

From: "David & Jill Stevenson" <djstevo@quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:38:22 +1300

Allan,
         Thanks for a far more diplomatic reply than was my posting . I am not an ideal candidate in the world of diplomacy . At the high price  today of sophistry maybe I would not wish to be.The American system of elections fascinates and mesmerizes New Zealanders from this distance.
Thank you for the better insight you have given, you clearly went to some trouble.  Many of us envy your Republican system of Government . However it can lead to heated debate  here between wannabe Republicans and traditional Monarchists under a Westminster parliamentary system . Loyalty has  apron strings that are too long for some. I don`t want to open a can of worms so I will not proceed down that path. Except to say it would certainly be my preference . Particularly if we could cement in a benign Dictatorship and ensure it stayed that way. In NZ there are so many endemic issues we cannot resolve through our crazy adversarial party system,  We also admire your distrust of centralisation.

   We have experimented with electoral systems and seem to have tied ourselves up in knots in the process. Maybe we are just hard to please. I accept your version on George Bush`s electoral vote. I would comment that I admire the way American`s get behind your President and more readily identify with national aspirations. New Zealand has issues to face that are unique and militate against our obtaining  similar unified identity. On the sporting field allegiance comes easier though somewhat transitory for 80 minutes.

   Please read into what I have said that profound and lasting gratitude  is universal in this country towards America `s  vital role in WW 2  and it`s outcome. While we may criticise America`s foreign  policy at times we are consistent in our judgment  All that has to happen is that we are proved wrong. In the harsh light of facts or debate we do acknowledge that fact when we are wrong.

                                  Regards

                                                      David Stevenson