Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2004

[sharechat] George W & David

From: "Allan Potts" <ajp7079@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:05:45 -0500 (EST)

Dear David,

I guess what I was trying to say, indirectly, was that the American people, are
the one's pulling the strings of W, which is as it should be. The "silent
majority" you speak of encompasses those lobby groups cited and a few others.

Your point of the "50:50 balance of influence on the direction of government,
more particularly internationally, which is naturally our outsider's main area
of concern" is accurate.  However, W is not seeking the votes of citizens of
any country other than the U.S.

Again, IMO this is the way it should be.  We elected him, if he started to pay
attention to the whim of the French, he would certainly not be re-elected.

As to the "legality" of George Bush's win -- that has been settled.  The news
media, with a collective and bitter hate of George Bush ran a recount after the
election and concluded that he did indeed win Florida.  Winning Florida, meant
he won the election.  I don't know if you are familiar with our system, but we
have 50 sovereign states.  The candidate who obtains the majority of votes in
each of those states wins all the electoral votes of that state.  This makes it
possible for a candidate to be duly elected as  President without receiving a
majority of the votes cast throughout the country, but having a majority of
enough states to win the electoral college vote.

As a quick example lets take three states and for simplicity sake say they have
equal populations and equal electoral college votes.  Candidate A wins state 1
2 by 1 vote each.  Candidate B wins state 3 by 40,000,000 votes.  Result:
Candidate A wins the election since the total electoral college votes of states
1  2 are twice the votes of state 3, although the popular vote of all three
states was 39,999,998 greater for candidate B.  THIS IS OUR SYSTEM AND ALWAYS
HAS BEEN.  The election of W is no longer disputable, except by dishonest
partisan's.

It might also shock Kiwi's to find out that this compartmentalization of ours
extends to many areas.  NZ for instance (as I understand it) has one policed
department throughout many locations.  In our little San Diego County we have
some 14 separate police departments.  Each one is different, rules, uniforms,
laws and police cars.  The reason is we do not like centralization.  Each city
and county has it's own laws and tax rates.  Multiply this by the thousands of
jurisdictions we have in our country and you can see we do not like
centralization.  This extends to the election of our President ergo each state
has "it's own say" in the  election.

This is probably very foreign to Kiwi's, but then we are foreigners.  Nice
foreigners, but nevertheless foreigners.  Unfortunately we're not quite as nice
as Kiwi's, but some of us try.

At the end of the day, I accept your impartiality claim;I did wish  however to
test your concept of just who was  pulling W's strings.

Allan

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com