Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2004

[sharechat] At what price in NZ$ would you consider Gold to be in a bullmarket?

From: "Baa Baa" <baa_baa@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:22:04 +0000

C T,

The answer to the question depends on ones perspective, but for me, it's
when the monthly gold prices closes above $NZ800. At present, Gold is
considered to be in a bull market when priced in USD, however, some of the
long hands would still argue gold monthly close over $US420 = bull, which it
hasn't quite done yet. This is what I call the 'forex effect'. What the US
gold price bringeth, the NZ/US exchange rate taketh away.

Nevertheless, gold has moved from $US255 to $US428 since 1991 so NZD
investors involved in the US equities have made good gains thus far as they
have appreciated faster than the NZD has depreciated against the kiwi. NZ
holders of gold during the same timeframe are basically flat.
http://quote.yahoo.com/m5?s=XAU&t=NZD&a=1&c=3 The point is that in NZD we
still have the chance to buy weakness, accumulate, and position for growth.

Common wisdom would suggest 5-10% of vested capital in physical gold (or
silver) as a hedge against weakness in paper instruments, such as currency,
bonds, equities, funds and other derivatives. I would not advocate more than
that for the typical NZ investor.

Here is some reading:

http://www.norfed.org/html/articles/debtfor.asp Billions for the Bankers,
Debt for the People - The Real Story of the Money-Control Over America. From
this, move onto learning about Fractional Reserve Banking to understand more
about the analogy you wrote below.

http://www.321gold.com/fed/greenspan/1966.html Gold and Economic Freedom
1966 - Alan Greenspan. This watershed paper describes the role of gold as
the asset backing of money, which it now is not.

In regards to R.Prechters 'Conquer the Crash',
http://www.elliottwave.com/conquer/ yes I have read it. Prechter has
captured the essense of a deflationary depression and describes the
horrifying circumstance that surrounds it, and that we are destined to
experience it. I cannot say with conviction that I believe Prechter
entirely, but his material is compelling if one can handle the depressing
nature of it without becoming psychotic.

All this aside, unlike most other investments, precious metals is a tangible
fungible asset encased in a historical value equation. The world we live in
has transitioned in two short generations from tangible assets to debt
instruments. If you think of Gold as the 'canary in the coal mine', the
canary has been dying for 22years and suddenly in 1991 it sprang to life
again. When gold comes to life (ergo prices rise), this is a sign that
something is not right with the world economies.

The journey of discovery can be long and tortuous (fundamentals of Gold are
extremely complicated), or it can be simple (the trend is your friend).
Above all, investing in gold is a response to a circumstance. One must have
at least an inkling of that circumstance before one would vest capital in
the 'ancient relic' called Gold. Clue: 'Insurance'.

BAA

Find your perfect match @  http://personals.xtramsn.co.nz   with XtraMSN
Personals!