Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2003

Re: Re: [sharechat] Uncle Sam / NZ

From: C Darby <cd@pl.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:07:48 +1300

I am encouraged to read the preceding post regarding US policy. It was not
too long ago that such a post would be trounced by those who thought thy
daily dividend was the saviour for all humanity.

May I add. US economic policy, military policy, foreign policy and even
domestic policy are not disjoint. Together it is monstrous in proportion and
effect. It has no respect for the boundary of a nation's sovereignty, its'
cultural differences or religious peculiarities. It is preceded by marketing
which makes international brands look like also rans. It demands a compliant
'embedded' media to convey its' story and to oppose it can prove deadly.

No this is not my own personal crusade based in a wobbly emotion. I'm a
father of young children for whom I wish a quality in their lives superior
to my own. I just want to put my hand up and say that thy daily dividend and
control of it by whatever means is not the agenda I want to see responsible
nations entertaining.

It is difficult to see the wool from the sheep when one engages is counter
argument over free trade, tariffs, subsidies and so on. There is no singular
global solution when one respects the intricacies of nations, their cultures
and histories. Because there is no singular, easy read, encompassing policy,
we can ill afford to follow the dogma we are delivered which demands we all
sign up to 'free trade'.

Free trade for one can prove extremely costly to another. People are dying
daily because of 'free' trade while others are probably dying because it is
denied them. It is a complex maze with no easy answers. I only hope
sanctions and war, where the US is the master practitioner, will not
prevail.

All the best

Charlie

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: RE: [sharechat] TransRail - last few shares Tony